Sunday, May 07, 2006

Fried potato slices

Yesterday, I went to Métro with a ravioli mould in mind. I came home with a mandoline (see below), and so needed to find a recipe with something to grate... Moreover, I still haven't got my mould!

My choice of recipe fell on the 'crique Ardéchoise' from Régis Marcon, master chef at the auberge des sommets at Saint-Bonnet-Le-Froid in the wonderful Ardeche region of France near to Valence.
My mum used to call these 'rapés', and she often served these fried potato slices with a small salad on a Sunday evening, after the gargantuesque lunch at my grandmother's...
Ingredients:

500 gr potatoes
4 eggs
4 cl of fresh cream
Herbs:
Chives, chervil, flat parsley,
1 finely chopped onion
100 gr. of melted butter or olive oil
8 shrimp or crawfish tails
2 cloves of garlic
Salad
Peel the potatoes and grate them to obtain 450 gr. of grated pulp and press to dry.
Mix the cream and eggs, incorporate the potato, the herbs and the onion, add salt and pepper.
In a hot frying pan, add the melted butter and spoon the mixture into 1cm-thick circles. Fry until golden.
In another frying pan, cook the crawfish tails on a low heat with a little butter and garlic.
Serve hot, pour the shrimps and their juice over the potato cakes, and serve with a salad, or why not with a little asparagus!

No comments: