I've spent quite some time in front of my computer these last three days, as the girls are ill(during the school holidays!) I discovered a great Dutch site called Stirway to heaven on my daily visit to Food Porn watch, (the English-language equivalent of blog appétit.) It's a treasure chest of sweet recipes, chocolate, cookies... I just had to try the Toffee Treat, one of the latest posts, and took the liberty of translating it to French for the Blog Apetit community. I also noted the recipe for "Sweet Pretzel"...
Friday, November 03, 2006
The girls are on school holidays this week with a busy program in store : cinema, museums, bike rides, seeing friends,... and cooking with mum in the kitchen ! Here's a recipe to start with - apple tart and home-made honey ice cream from chef Jean-luc Tartarin.
Preparation : 50 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for 4 :
60 gr butter
60 gr icing sugar
2 egg yolks
150 gr plain flour
1 pinch of salt
100 gr sugar
50 gr flour
50 gr powdered almonds
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
50 gr softened butter
Honey ice cream :
50 cl half fat milk
4 egg yolks
200 gr honey
15 cl single cream
- Pastry : Mix the icing sugar with the flour. Add the butter in lumps in the middle.
- Crush the butter with the ends of your fingers, mixing in with the flour.
- Beat the eggs with the salt, and add to the preceeding mixture.
- Kneed the mixture together and into a ball with your hands. Flour the outside, and cool for an hour.
- Honey ice cream : Bring the milk to the boil.
- Beat the eggs and honey together in a bowl.
- Pour the hot milk over the eggs and honey. Whisk together, and pass through a strainer.
- Heat the mixture in a bain-marie on a medium heat until the mixture thickens stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool.
- Mix in the single cream, and freeze the mixture using an ice-cream maker. Place in the freezer.
- Pralin : Mix the sugar, flour, almond powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Add the softened butter.
- In a tart mould (or individual moulds) :
- Roll out the pastry. Line the mould with ovenproof paper, or for individual moulds, I butter the inside and then use strips of paper, which help when turning out the tarts.
- Apply the pastry base and prick with a fork.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into small cubes of around 1cm.
- Fill the tarts with apple, then cover the top with the pralin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve the tart warm with a spoon of ice cream and sprinkled with icing sugar.